Getting Married Legally Abroad − Things to remember

If you are planning a church wedding abroad, you will need to seek permission from the church authorities where you wish to marry. If your wedding is to be preformed in another language, other than English, ensure you have an interpreter present to translate the proceedings.

If your marriage certificate is written in a foreign language you will need to ensure it is translated on your return to the UK, and I would always advise you to take a trip to the british embassy in the country of your marriage to let them photocopy your marriage certificate so that it can be registered with the general register office here in England, this can take quite a while however before it comes through, I would also suggest that wherever you get married you pay the extra to have at least 2 wedding certificates, imagine losing your original and then trying to get a copy, much easier to have had two to start with.

<< Back to weddings abroad